CEMEX signs UN Women's Empowerment Principles
March 10, 2020
- The United Nations Women ́s Empowerment Principles serve as guidance to promote gender equality in the workplace, marketplace, and community.
- CEMEX strengthens its Diversity and Inclusion strategy.
CEMEX, S.A.B. de C.V. (“CEMEX”) (NYSE: CX) announced its commitment to gender equality by becoming a signatory to the UN Women and UN Global Compact’s Women’s Empowerment Principles (“WEPs”). The WEPs, along with the company’s existing diversity and inclusion guidelines, serve as further guidance for CEMEX to promote equality in the workplace, marketplace, and community. CEMEX believes that women’s empowerment benefits not only individuals but also society as a whole, allowing for economic and social growth, as well as healthy competition.
CEMEX works globally with different institutions on implementing several initiatives with the common goal of promoting education, encouraging social entrepreneurship, and providing tools for empowering women in the cities and communities in which it operates.
"At CEMEX, we value diversity in our workforce; the integration of people with different backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences makes CEMEX stronger,” said Fernando A. González, CEO of CEMEX. “Diversity is what makes us more competitive and resilient and enables us to adapt to an ever-changing global environment. We are satisfied that our efforts to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment are aligned with the WEPs.”
The seven WEPs are: High-Level Corporate Leadership; Treat all Women and Men Fairly at Work without Discrimination; Employee Health, Well-Being and Safety; Education and training for gender equality; Enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices; Community initiatives and advocacy; and Measurement and Reporting.
CEMEX is already undertaking several efforts that contribute to women’s empowerment, including:
- CEMEX launched the company ́s global Diversity and Inclusion Policy in 2019.
- CEMEX conductsin ternal training to create awareness of and address unconscious biases.
- The company’s Community Diversity and Inclusion Model fosters women’s economic empowerment through education and capabilities development to improve their income and contribute to their transformation as agents of change in their family and community.
- CEMEX cooperates with the Organization of American States (OAS) and domestic institutions to offer women training for entrepreneurship projects and commercialization of their products.
- The CEMEX-Tec Award provides grants globally to support community initiatives, including support for women led enterprises.
- CEMEX also empowers women to work on participative community improvement in urban settings, through our urban transformation model.
CEMEX further embraces and integrates the WEPs in to its community initiatives and advocacy by leveraging its partnerships with OAS, promoting women’s leadership and community consultation initiatives, as well as by providing grants to support community business initiatives. In addition to the company’s commitment to the WEPs, CEMEX is a not only a signatory member of the UN Global Compact (UNGC) since 2004, but also recently reinforced its engagement as a participant, through which we embrace, support, and comply with its principles and values, while currently leading the UNGC Network in Mexico. The WEPs are a valuable resource to share best practices, knowledge, and experiences with the business community.
CEMEX is a global building materials company that provides high-quality products and reliable services. CEMEX has a rich history of improving the wellbeing of those it serves through innovative building solutions, efficiency advancements, and efforts to promote a sustainable future. For more information on CEMEX, please visit: www.cemex.com
CEMEX assumes no obligation to update or correct the information contained in this press release. CEMEX is not responsible for the content of any third-party website or webpage referenced to or accessible through this press release.