CEMEX publishes its Integrated Report: “Building a Stronger CEMEX”
March 28, 2019
CEMEX, S.A.B. de C.V. (“CEMEX”) (NYSE: CX) presented today its 2018 Integrated Report: “Building a Stronger CEMEX,” which includes a complete analysis of CEMEX’s strategic vision, operational performance, corporate governance, and value creation at a global level. The report also releases our new 2030 Sustainability Ambitions, which aim to considerably benefit our main stakeholders.
“Conscious that our progress begins with our people, our highest priority and permanent commitment is to achieve zero incidents in our daily operation. We have also strengthened our commitment to the ethical principles and values that enable us to work as One CEMEX, aligning ourselves with our new Diversity and Inclusion Policy, as well as our Human Rights Policy and improved Code of Ethics,” said Fernando A. Gonzalez, CEO of CEMEX.
Among the main achievements presented in CEMEX 2018 Integrated Report are:
- CEMEX reached the goal of zero employee fatalities for the first year ever. In addition, we reduced our total employee and contractor lost time injuries by 20%, a record low. Additionally, 96% of our operations achieved zero fatalities and zero lost-time injuries—the highest percentage in CEMEX's history.
- CEMEX strengthened its commitment to the ethical principles and values that enable it to work as One CEMEX with the launch of the company’s Diversity and Inclusion Policy, a renewed Human Rights Policy, and an improved Code of Ethics.
- The company achieved an alternative fuels rate of 27.1%, its highest rate in the past four years. Moreover, 26% of the power consumption for cement was supplied from renewable energy. These milestones and other mitigation efforts enabled CEMEX to reduce its net CO2 emissions per ton of cementitious products by 21.6%, compared to its 1990 baseline, avoiding 7.9 million tons of CO2. This is equivalent to the emissions generated by the electricity consumption of 1.4 million homes in one year.
- CEMEX prioritized five Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that are directly related to the company's business and represent a better opportunity to make a greater contribution to the global goals of the United Nations by 2030. These five objectives focus on the promotion of decent employment and economic growth (SDG 8); innovation and infrastructure development (SDG 9); the advancement of sustainable cities and communities (SDG 11); climate change mitigation (SDG 13); and environmental and ecosystem conservation (SDG 15).
- CEMEX and 10 other companies from the sector became founding members of the new Global Cement and Concrete Association (GCCA), which aims to consolidate the industry’s efforts to position concrete as the most sustainable material in the world.
- Through the global and local editions of the Supplier of the Year Program, CEMEX granted recognition to suppliers for the contribution they make by offering profitable and innovative services and solutions for the company and its customers. In 2018, CEMEX also launched the Global Edition of the "INTEGRATE Your Ideas" Innovation Program, recognizing three suppliers for their creative ideas.
- CEMEX has implemented Community Engagement Plans at 95% of its cement plants. In addition, thanks to the company's shared value projects, CEMEX collaborated with its communities and authorities to address vital social issues such as housing, land ownership, access to basic services, employment, and financial inclusion through micro-credits.
- Thanks to CEMEX Environmental Management System, compared to its 2005 baseline, the company reached a reduction in its air emissions of 87% for dust, 45% for NOx, and 64% for SOx. Additionally, more than 80% of the company’s operations have implemented water-recycling systems.
Consistent with CEMEX's commitment to contribute to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and having defined our 2020 sustainability goals some years ago, we have expanded our vision and defined our ambitions towards 2030. The company’s new objectives for 2030 include:
- In health and safety, zero employee fatalities and lost-time injuries
- In sustainable construction, 50% annual sales from cement and ready-mix concrete products with outstanding sustainable attributes
- In climate change mitigation, a 29% reduction in our net CO2 emissions per cementitious product vs. 1990, a goal aligned with science-based targets methodology
- Consistent with our customer centricity objective, aligned with international standards and considering a baseline of 44, our ambition is to reach 60 for our Net Promoter Score (NPS).
- As part of our employee experience, we aspire for at least 80% of our workforce to recommend CEMEX as a good place to work.
The 2018 Integrated Report includes an external verification report carried out by KPMG and was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards.
To learn more about how we build a stronger CEMEX, please visit:
CEMEX is a global building materials company that provides high-quality products and reliable services to customers and communities in more than 50 countries. CEMEX has a rich history of improving the wellbeing of those it serves through innovative building solutions, efficiency advancements, and efforts to promote a sustainable future. For more information, please visit: www.cemex.com
CEMEX assumes no obligation to update or correct the information contained in this press release. CEMEX is not responsible for the content of any third-party website or webpage referenced to or accessible through this press release.